I’m excited about this new blog series we’ll be starting today: Building a Youth Ministry from Scratch. Recently, I had quite a few people contact me for advice on how to build a youth ministry from the ground up. I figured more people could benefit from my advice if I started blogging about this, so here we go.
Before we dig in, I want to make a few things clear. This series is not just aimed at those doing ministry in a western (Read: American) context, on the contrary. I’ve gotten many questions about starting or revitalizing a youth ministry from other parts of the world as well, for instance from South Africa, The Philippines, and India. So I will try to make my advice as broad as possible and not just focus on issues that are important to the church in North America or Europe.
What we’ll cover
That being said, here’s a first overview of some of the topics we’ll cover in this series:
- The Very First Steps in Starting a Youth Ministry
- Preparing Spiritually for Ministry
- Finding Prayer Support
- Engaging Your First Students
- The Rookie Mistake You Need to Avoid
- A Mission and Vision…Or not
- Finding Your First Youth Leaders
- Your First Programs and Events
- Finding a Sustainable Rhythm
- How to Grow a Starting Youth Group
- When to Start with Small Groups
If you have any other topics or questions you’d like to see covered, leave a comment below!